Your Guide To The Top Shampoos and Conditioners On The Market
We'll Reveal The Key Ingredients That Boost Scalp + Strand Health, Regardless Of Hair TypeUpdated 03/28/2020
Whether your locks are straight, curly, bleached, or thinning, effective shampoo and conditioner ingredients have the power to transform the health of your hair from root to tip. They're the foundation of a healthy haircare routine.
Unfortunately, our research uncovered that many popular brands prefer investing in aggressive marketing over quality ingredients that actually make hair healthier.
We created this guide to help better inform you about what to look for in a shampoo and conditioner. Keep reading to become an expert on hair health and avoid being swayed by expensive advertising and false promises.
Are Shampoo and Conditioner Ingredients Really That Important?
You are what you eat, right? Consuming processed and unnatural foods can lead to serious health issues. The same goes for your hair.
In fact, your hair and scalp act like a sponge by absorbing what you feed them. This also includes the unhealthy chemicals found in many hair products.
Building the right foundation for your hair care routine starts with a shampoo and conditioner that offers the right mix of essential oils, vitamins, natural extracts and mild cleansers to gently clean your hair and scalp while fortifying it with pure ingredients.
Unfortunately, many brands focus their ingredients to specific hair textures. This limits the full value of a comprehensive hair health routine. Try to find products with potent ingredients proven to boost the health of all hair textures.
Beneficial Shampoo Ingredients:
- Peppermint Oil - Fortifies and stimulates the hair cuticle
- Cedarwood Oil - Stimulates scalp circulation
- Tea Tree Oil - Removes dead cells and unblocks hair follicles.
- Jojoba Seed Oil - Treats dry scalp
- Grapefruit Oil - Prevents dandruff and skin irritation.
- Marula Oil - Seals, coats and smoothes your hair cuticle.
- Horsetail (plant) - Promotes circulation and strengthens follicles.
- Nettle - Blocks excess DHT, a hormone linked to baldness.
- Willow Bark - Stimulates growth.
- Keratin - Protects your strands' cells from heat styling.
- Soy and Wheat Proteins - Penetrate the cortex of you hair strands.
- Cocamidopropyl Hydroxysultaine - Derived from fatty acids in coconut oil, acts as foaming, anti-static and conditioning agent.
Natural Conditioner Ingredients:
- Argan Oil - Coats, protects and moisturizes your hair.
- Coconut Oil - Strengthens strands and promotes hair growth.
- Avocado Oil - Coats and strengthens damaged hair.
- Keratin - Reduces frizz, smoothes, and promotes shine.
- Hydrolyzed Soy Protein - Increases moisture and adds shine.
- Silk Amino Acids - Help rebuild and nourish damaged hair without weighing it down or causing buildup.
- Behentrimonium Methosulfate - Mild and recommended for use on baby products. Prevents dandruff and hair loss.
Knowing which ingredients to look for in your shampoo and conditioner is only half the battle. We also need to understand the dangers of certain common ingredients and why to avoid them. This is especially critical if you're experiencing an itchy or dry scalp and have noticed hair loss or thinning. The causes may be right inside your shampoo or conditioner.
Harmful Shampoo Ingredients:
Dangerous Conditioner Ingredients:
Do You Need To Shop Organic?
Buying organic products is generally great for both your health and the environment, but does that also translate to your hair? We discovered that there is no added value to buying organic shampoos and conditioners over products with natural, safe ingredients. The top reason: Federal law doesn't require personal care products to be 100% organic in order to claim that they are. Additionally, many "organic" products aren't actually effective at cleansing and hydrating. Some of them even include the unhealthy additives listed above, which means they can hurt more than help. An organic product won't always protect you from potentially dangerous chemicals. We found that it's better to base your choice on natural and effective ingredients.
3 Ways Your Shampoo Brand May Be Fooling You
Our Top 3 Shampoo and Conditioner Sets
We've compiled this list after testing over 60 different brands of hair shampoo and conditioners for potency, clinically proven ingredients and user satisfaction. These are the brands that made it to the top:
The Shampoos and Conditioners We Tested
- Wen Cleansing Conditioner
- L'Oreal Paris EverStrong Thickening Shampoo
- Kerastase Bain Chrome Captive
- Nexxus Diametress Rebalancing Shampoo
- VO5 Tea Therapy Tea Shampoo
- Bumble and Bumble Thickening Shampoo
Consumers Survey Recommended
- 21 Natural Ingredients
- Health boost for all hair types
- Free of sulfates, parabens and silicons
- 90-Day Money-Back Guarantee
- Third-party tested
- Made in the USA
Coming in at number one is Hair La Vie's Shampoo and Conditioner set. It received the highest user ratings by a huge margin.
**EXCLUSIVE Special Offer For First-Time Users ONLY**
Purchase Discount Shampoo and Conditioner Now >>
LIMITED OFFER DISCOUNT FROM HAIR LA VIE
Keranique rounds out our list of top shampoos. It's said to be ideal for color-treated and thinning hair, and many users are happy with the results. While some reviews were negative and a few users noted that they didn't see any results, Keranique's shampoo remains hugely popular. Unfortunately, it does contain silicones, and synthetic colors and fragrances.
What We Do
ConsumersSurvey uses a unique three-step approach to reviewing the most popular products in the online marketplace
1. Research First we conduct in-house research with a highly qualified editorial team comprised of individuals who specialize in various fields.
2. SurveyWe survey our readers who have tried the product over time in order to learn from their experiences.
3. OpinionWe monitor public opinion in the world’s most popular marketplaces, from Amazon and eBay, to Bizrate and Pricegrabber.